Sunday, April 24, 2011

Second Born


My sister and I were born 18 months apart.  Being the baby of the family definitely had its advantages, but our parents tried to keep things as fair as possible when we were growing up.  The one thing I do remember being very jealous of my older sister over was the size of our baby books.  Her book is probably about 4 inches thick with all the pages completed and even has mementos from her childhood.  My book, on the other hand, still has the plastic wrapper on it and I am lucky that it has my name filled in.  I think it might have my birth weight and length and maybe a few pictures, but that is about it.  I remember asking my mom when I was little why my sister’s book was so much bigger than mine, and she basically told me it is because I was the second born and when I had all my “firsts” it just wasn’t that big of a deal anymore.   On top of that, my parents now had 2 babies to take of with both of them working, so I am sure that filling out my baby book wasn’t a top priority.  But I made a promise to myself that I would try to keep things even for both my kids, make sure they both have the same opportunities, and most important of all, complete both of their baby books! :-)

Well now I am 20 weeks pregnant with my second child and I feel like I am already slacking.  I have yet to buy a baby book or even take one pregnancy picture.  Maybe my mom was right (cringe) and things do get a lot harder with a second child, but I will try to stick to my promise and make sure Emily has a completed book of her very own.  I will start today by posting my 20 week belly picture.   

2 comments:

  1. This has me cracking up. You were jealous of an incomplete book, and I was always jealous that you never got in trouble :-) Can't wait to see the relationship form and build between Andrew and Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, not sure why it's coming up as "Roland said"...clearly, this is Rachel,hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete